Walking is one of the simplest forms of exercise available to us but many people doubt just how beneficial it can be as a form of fitness. Besides being easy to do, it’s also one of the least expensive and most convenient ways to burn some calories. All you need is a comfortable pair of shoes and a place to walk and you are good to go!
If you think exercise has to be an all-or-nothing sweatfest, you may want to rethink that. Physical activity doesn’t have to be intense to be effective. The most important thing is to get out there and get moving, regardless of your fitness level. The rules are simple – put one foot in front of the other!
And look at some of the incredible benefits walking offers:
- Weight loss: A person weighing 150 pounds walking at 3 mph for 30 minutes will burn about 115 calories.
- Can help lower blood pressure: Even if you don’t have time for a long walk, brisk walking for even a few minutes has been shown to have a positive impact on blood pressure.
- Increases cerebral brain flow: Brisk walking helps get your blood pumping which increases blood flow to the brain. Walking also can be quality thinking time for many people.
- Can prevent osteoporosis: Walking can strengthen your bones and help reduce your risk of osteoporosis. Even if you already have osteoporosis, strengthening your bones can be helping in maintaining bone mass.
- Can reduce the risk of cancer: Moderate physical activity has been linked to decreases in many forms of cancer.
- Can prevent or control diabetes: Walking can help control weight, which has been linked to diabetes. Blood sugar can be reduced while walking, helping to control your levels.
- Can lower the risk of heart disease: Every step you take can lead you to a healthier heart, lower your risk of disease.
- Can help with energy levels: If you’ve ever experienced the dreaded afternoon energy slump, try walking around for a few minutes. It will get your blood pumping again and fight off sleepiness.
- Can improve mood and promote good mental health: Walking can be a great way to relax, unwind and think. All of these things are great for your mental health!
- Fun for all fitness levels: Walking is great for any age! It can be a great family activity and way to explore the outdoors.
If you are looking for simple ways to add more steps in your day, check out these tips. Grab a friend and get outside and go for a walk – it’s good for your health!
Do you walk regularly as part of your fitness routine?