You’ve probably heard that it is recommended that we get somewhere around 10,000 steps a day. Considering 10,000 steps is somewhere around 5 miles, this can be a bit of a challenge for many of us, especially those of us with more sedentary jobs. But don’t worry, there are several ways to pile up those steps!
2. Park further away. You won’t save a significant amount of time by parking near the door so this is a good opportunity to add more steps.
3. Wander the room when you’re talking on the phone.
4. If you arrive to an appointment early, take a quick walk around the building instead of sitting in the waiting room.
5. Instead of sitting in a waiting room, pace the floor.
6. Walk to a co-workers desk instead of emailing.
7. Make after dinner strolls a regular part of your evening.
8. Take 15 minutes of your lunch break and walk. A 15 minute walk should be roughly a mile.
9. Before you head out of the grocery store, take another lap around the store.
10. Take a couple of breaks during the day to walk around and stretch your legs.
11. Walk your kids to the bus stop or to school instead of driving them.
12. Use commercial TV breaks to walk around the room.
13. Avoid the drive thru. Get out of the car and walk in to place your order.
14. While waiting on your kids during soccer practice, spend that time walking.
15. Recruit a friend to walk with and keep you accountable.
Do you get in 10,000 steps each day? How will you add more steps into your day?