This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HuntsFreshTwists #CollectiveBias
One of the biggest complaints I hear from people about clean eating is that they don’t like fruits and vegetables and can’t seem to add them to their diet. One of the first foods I suggest is salsa. No, seriously – salsa is a great way to get a healthy heaping of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Salsa is so easy to make and customize to your exact taste (at my house, I like a milder, sweeter flavor while Mr. Real Food likes it hot, hot, hot). And I love knowing exactly what ingredients I am putting into my salsa. This recipe only requires 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to make. You can’t even run to the store and pick up a jar of salsa in 5 minutes!
Mr. Real Food loves his salsa and would be happy if I just left him with a bag of chips and a trough of salsa. I understand his love for salsa and the need to have more of it in his life so we have started incorporating it into other meals.
Here are some other great ways to use salsa for healthier meals:
- Use as a salad dressing instead of creamy dressings – adds flavor, vitamins and nutrients and reduces calories
- Substitute heavy sauces on dishes like chicken – adds a little kick while reducing calories
- Add to meat in the slow cooker – just add salsa and a couple of chicken breasts to the slow cooker in the morning and come home to salsa chicken for burritos or burrito bowls
- Add to your breakfast eggs and spice them up – a great way to add more fruits and veggies to your morning meal.
I never realized how easy it was to make my own salsa until I tried it. There are approximately a billion or so different combinations of ingredients you can use to make your own salsa but this is my favorite recipe that is perfect for any recipe. And here’s my super secret shortcut that makes this the easiest salsa recipe ever – Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes. I picked up a few cans on my last trip to Walmart so I could make some as soon as I got home. My favorite Hunt’s diced tomatoes are garlic roasted so I used those and didn’t have to add garlic. I always look for ways to reduce my prep time but have to make sure it doesn’t compromise the quality of my recipe and since Hunt’s tomatoes are flash steamed, they are great for my salsa. Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes is the perfect solution!
Let me break it down for you to show you just how easy this is to make:
Step 1: Chop ingredients – onions, cilantro, jalapeno, lime. Grab a couple cans of Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes (I love the Roasted Garlic Diced Tomatoes)
Step 2: Add ingredients to food processor.
Step 3: Enjoy with chips or your favorite recipe.
- 2 cans Hunt's Roasted Garlic Diced Tomatoes
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- juice from one lime
- Add all ingredients to food processor and pulse until blended.
- You can add more or less jalapeno depending on how spicy you like your salsa (this is mild).
- Enjoy with chips or add to your favorite recipe.
And here’s a special deal for you from Hunt’s: Buy 3 Hunt’s Tomatoes any variety 6 oz or larger at Walmart and receive $1.00 in your Ibotta account. (All 3 products must be purchased on the same shopping trip.)
Be sure to check out Ready Set Eat for more great recipe ideas!
Do you make your own salsa? What’s your favorite way to enjoy salsa? Tell me in the comments below!