Living a healthy life can seem daunting, boring or just downright unachievable for many people. But it doesn’t have to be any of these things!
But what do healthy people have in common that we can learn from? Actually, they are pretty basic things. While it may take some adjustment to the way you currently think and live, you’ll see benefits in your life and your health.
Let’s take a look at the 7 habits that healthy people usually share:
The 7 Habits of Healthy People
- Have a positive outlook. Our mind is perhaps our most powerful tool. One of my favorite sayings is “whether you think you can or can’t, you’re right”. Profound, isn’t it? Changing your mindset from negative thinking like “I can’t do this” to more positive thinking can have a dramatic effect on your results.
- Are active. Healthy people tend to be more active. Rather than taking the elevator, they will take the stairs. Instead of cruising the parking lot for the closest spot, they park further away and walk. Try these tips to get more steps into your day.
- Plan their meals and workouts. Healthy people also take a few extra minutes to plan out their meals and schedule their workouts. If you try to fit these things in when you have extra time, it’s not likely to happen. We’ve got a free meal planning printable for you here along with some simple meal planning strategies. Taking a few minutes each take for intentional movement can really help improve your health as well. Go for a wall or do some simple exercises during the commercials of your favorite show – it doesn’t have to be long or intense.
- Don’t make excuses. Healthy people do not make excuses. You’ve probably heard many of these excuses (or said them yourself) like “I don’t have time” or “I don’t know where to start”. We all have the same amount of time each day – we just make different choices on how to use this time.
- Get plenty of sleep. While it may seem like a good idea to stay up late to get more done, research has shown this to be ineffective or counterproductive. Getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night can help you be more productive and get more done.
- Don’t diet. While you may hear healthy eaters refer to their diet, they are talking about a balanced lifestyle, not a fad diet. Healthy people limit the bad foods they eat but don’t deprive themselves. An occasional treat won’t hurt and will help you enjoy your life without feeling like you are missing out on anything. Moderation is always the key here.
- Make health a priority. Healthy people always make their health a priority. This is why you see them scheduling their workouts and planning their meals. In addition to those things, they get regular health checkups to manage their health and take a proactive approach to any issues that may arise.
How do you make sure you are leading a healthy life? Are there areas you need to improve to be healthier? Share your challenges and successes in the comments below!