Mornings can be tough for many of us and the snooze button can become a familiar friend. That’s completely understandable though, right? Who wants to leave their warm, comfy bed to face the harsh reality of the day? Okay, so maybe “harsh reality” may be a bit of an exaggeration, but you never know what the day may bring.
Starting the day off in a bad mood or getting up on the “wrong side of the bed” can really set the tone for the day. So today, I’m going to share my 7 favorite ways to start the day off right and stop hitting the snooze button!
7 Simple Ways to Start Your Day Off Right
- Get to bed at a decent hour. Getting enough sleep is critical to starting your day off right. Sleep is the cornerstone of good health while inadequate sleep can lead to many different health and wellness issues. Adults need a minimum of 7 to 8 hours of sleep to allow their bodies to refresh and recharge.
- Get up a few minutes early and enjoy some me time. Waking up and plunging directly into the day can leave you feeling drained. Instead of waking up and checking email, ease into the day with some quiet time reading a book, listening to your favorite music or exercising. A short yoga routine can help your body awaken naturally and get the blood flowing, leaving you feeling energized. Ten to fifteen minutes can really make a huge difference.
- Read or listen to a motivational quote or daily devotional or inspirational article. Reading or hearing something positive early in the morning can help set the tone for the day.
- Plan your morning ahead of time. Decide the night before what you will eat for breakfast, what you will wear, and know what is on your schedule for the day. This will simplify your morning and save you from having to make these decisions in the morning.
- Eat a good breakfast. It’s likely been a long time since your last meal so your body needs the nutrition that a healthy breakfast provides. Be sure to include a protein as part of a nutritious breakfast and avoid carbohydrate-laden and sugary foods. That muffin or bagel might taste good now but will lead to a blood sugar crash later.
- Reflect on what you are thankful for. Being alive is always something to be thankful for so even if you can’t think of anything else to be thankful for, you’ve got that. Here are some other tips on practicing gratitude and the many health benefits.
- Drink a glass of water. Water is an excellent way to kick start your metabolism and wake up your organs. Water has many more benefits like these too and is one of the simplest ways to improve your overall health.
How do you start your day off right? Tell us in the comments below!