I’ve given the secret to weight loss and maintenance before. If you don’t know what it is, I’ll fill you in. It’s eat the right kinds of food in the right portions (not necessarily less) and move more. That’s it! There is no magic pill, procedure, or diet.
One of the most common reasons I hear for not moving more is lack of time. Coming in at a close second is that some people just don’t want to exercise, either at home or a gym. I completely understand that!
And I can help!
You see, I used to be that person. I thought I didn’t have time to workout and wasn’t motivated to workout at home and didn’t want to go to the gym. The beginning of my fitness journey started with just walking and then progressed to running (you can read my story here). But don’t worry, I’m not going to try to convince you to become a runner and I know you already know that walking is a good way to get movement into your day.
Instead, I am going to give you 9 simple ways that will help you burn more calories and get you more active doing regular day to day activities. You don’t need to carve out 30 minutes or an hour during your day. You don’t need to go to the gym. And you don’t need to work out. These will likely be small changes you can make throughout the course of your regular day that will help you burn more calories.
- Take the stairs. It only takes a few seconds longer to take the stairs than the elevator and taking the stairs moves your legs and glutes while raising your heartbeat. Taking the stairs can be a quick burst of strength and cardio. Challenge yourself to take the stairs multiple times throughout the day.
- Clean vigorously. Scrubbing the tub vigorously can burn around 90 calories in 15 minutes. Vacuuming, mopping, and cleaning the windows are big calorie burners too. Not only will you burn a ton of calories with a couple of hours of cleaning, you’ll end up with a sparkling house too.
- Park further away. Most of us have become accustomed to getting the closest spot to the door that we can find. It’s usually easier to find a spot near the end of the parking lot, plus you’ll burn more calories with the extra steps.
- Play with your pets. Pets will love the extra play time and you’ll torch some calories. The added benefit of playing with your pets is that pets have been shown to improve our mood.
- Play with your kids. Instead of sending your kids out to play, go outdoors and play with them. A game of tag will get your heart rate going and your kids will love the quality time with you.
- Use a basket instead of a shopping cart. If you’ve ever headed to the market to pick up a couple of items and grabbed a basket but ended up getting additional items, you’ll know that carrying a heavy basket is a good arm workout. That arm workout burns calories and tones your muscles too.
- Take breaks during the day to walk or stretch. Many of us end up sitting at our desks for extended lengths of time. Taking periodic breaks throughout the day and walking or stretching can help burn a few calories and can also refresh and reenergize you, making you more productive.
- Find an active hobby. Instead of watching TV as a hobby, try more active hobbies like gardening.
- Stand and walk around while on phone calls. Time spent talking on the phone can be used to stand and walk around. You’ll be multi-taking and burning additional calories.
How do you stay active during the day?