I’ve been craving soup lately. Perhaps it’s wanting something light or maybe it’s just wishing for fall when cradling a warm bowl of soup feels great. Since it’s still mid-90s here for now, I’ll have to go with something lighter. This Avocado Lime Chicken soup is perfect for a lighter meal and will be great this fall and winter when it’s cold outside. It’s easy to make with just a few healthy ingredients but it’s packed with flavor. This recipe is definitely a keeper for my family!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (the number of seeds left affect the heat of the soup, so adjust accordingly)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 48 ounces chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomotoes (do not drain juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- Avocados, diced
- Optional toppings: cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add green onions, garlic, and jalapenos and saute until tender (about 2 minutes).
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, cumin, salt and pepper, and chicken.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover pot and cook until chicken has cooked through (about 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken).
- Remove chicken from the pot and cool for about 5 minutes. Shred chicken and add back into soup.
- Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Add avocados and desired toppings and serve.
What’s your favorite soup recipe? Tell me in the comments below!