Every year in January, a couple of friends and our families make the pilgrimage to Houston to run the Houston marathon. It’s by far my favorite race and you’ll find me there every year. My family doesn’t generally travel with me to do races but everything about Houston is perfect for a family weekend. The expo is close to our hotel and the start/finish line is by our hotel. In fact, the course goes right past our hotel so it takes little effort for my family to roll out of bed and cheer me on as I finish the race. With spectators all along the course, there’s always someone cheering and screaming my name. It’s always a great time!
Now that I am only a few months of my youngest child leaving home, I’m ready to start travelling more and enjoying life as an empty nester with my husband. That means it’s time to start looking at more out of town races that be turned into a vacation! Since some of these races are huge races and sell out quickly, I have to plan way ahead and see what works out. So here is my list of bucket list marathons to complete over the coming years:
- Boston Marathon. The Boston Marathon can be compared to the Super Bowl of running. To qualify, you have to meet a specific time goal according to your gender and age. I need to run a 3:45 to qualify for this one currently so it may have to wait until I get a little older and have a slower time requirement. I’m sure if you ask almost any runner, Boston would be on their list. Steeped in tradition, it’s just a big deal. And I need to run it at least once.
- Marine Corp Marathon. This is another huge race that sells out really quickly. Washington, DC is one of my favorite places to visit so I would love to see the city in this way. Since my husband also loves DC, this one is an easy sell. Spending a week or so after the race exploring the city sounds like a great idea to me!
- Disney. I haven’t exactly decided which Disney race to run since there are so many but I think this is an event that every runner needs to experience at least once and run for fun. Disney really knows how to do races right from what I’ve been told so I’ll have to pick one someday and do it. This might be one of those races to wear a tutu or costume but I’m undecided on that still. And those crazy distance challenges are really appealing….
- Chicago Marathon. Another big city marathon that sells out super fast. But it’s also one that people rave about too. They say the entire city comes out to support the race and runners and the energy is amazing. And I’ve never been to Chicago so a 26.2 mile sight-seeing tour would be fun, right?
- New York City. I don’t think I need to say much about this one. It’s definitely one of the big ones that everyone seems to want to do. It might take several attempts to get in through the lottery but I haven’t seen much of NYC outside of Manhattan so this would be a cool tour of the city and surrounding areas. I’ve run in Central Park before and it would be cool to do it again with thousands of my closest running friends!
Any more that you would add to the list? Have you run any of these before?