A walk down the aisle at any pharmacy or drug store will show you that there is a huge market for nutritional supplements. While it’s best to get as many nutrients as you can from food, sometimes it’s necessary to add in a supplement or two.
Not all supplements are the same and you may not need them. Doing a little research on your own and speaking with your doctor can go a long way to helping you find the right supplements and saving you from purchasing supplements that are ineffective.
One supplement that I am a huge fan of is magnesium. If you don’t know what magnesium is, it’s a mineral that is found in the earth, sea, plants, animals and humans. In humans, 60% of our magnesium can be found in our bones, while the other 40% is in our muscles, tissues, blood, and bodily fluids. Magnesium is actually used by every organ in our bodies – so clearly it’s super important!
Look at all the ways that magnesium benefits our health:
The bad news is is that an estimated 80% of us are deficient in magnesium.
But how do you know if you are magnesium deficient? Have you ever had that annoying eye twitch where it felt like you were winking at someone? That’s likely a sign of magnesium deficiency. Here are more signs that you may experience:
Signs of deficiency:
- personality changes
- muscle cramps
- abnormal heart rhythms
The good news is that magnesium is readily available in many foods. These foods are particularly plentiful in magnesium and good sources to easily add in to your diet:
- pumpkin seeds
- dark chocolate
- black beans
Do you get enough magnesium in your diet? Is this a nutrient that you need to supplement?