I quit drinking soda about 6 years ago in an effort to get rid of my growing “muffin top”. Giving it up was not an easy thing to do but, looking back on it, it was one of the best things I did for myself and my family. I still have cravings for it from time to time, but I think that is just memory recall related to a specific food (like pizza or fajitas). Honestly though, I think a soda would now be way too sweet for me so I avoid them altogether and the craving subsides quickly. After doing considerable research about the dangers of soda, I am so glad a gave it up.
Here’s what I found out about soda:
- the empty calories can lead to obesity, heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, tooth decay, and osteoporosis
- sugar and high fructose corn syrup result in spikes in blood sugar and insulin
- soda causes the accumulation of belly fat, high triglycerides and reduced levels of HDL (good cholesterol)
- studies have concluded that there is an increased risk of stroke with the consumption of more than one can of soda per day
- children and teenagers often consume soda in place of healthy beverages (such as water)
- the calories in soda don’t satisfy hunger which often results in higher caloric consumption
- soda is associated with symptoms of gastro-esophageal reflux disease
- it can cause ulcers to flare up
- most ingredients are toxic and harmful and very unnatural
- an average can has 10 teaspoons of sugar, 150 calories, 30-50 mg caffeine and lots of other artificial flavorings and colors
Just look at the ingredients on this can of soda:
Are these ingredients things you want to put in your body? I don’t either! Nothing in this can provides anything even closely related to being real!