Have you ever thought of yourself as your most valuable asset? Think about this for a minute…where would you be without you? We find time to take care of the other valuable assets in our lives – our families, homes, relationships, etc. Most of us have been brought up to believe that taking care of ourselves was selfish. That’s true – it is selfish to take care of ourselves. However, it is completely necessary to maintain the balance in our lives. Neglecting ourselves can end up hurting the other aspects of our lives. Below are ten tips to help you balance your life and take care of your most valuable asset – YOU!
1. Eat regular, nutritious meals. This sounds pretty obvious but the food we consume provides the fuel that we need to function. Bad fuel = bad results. Eating regular meals with plenty of fruits and vegetables and avoiding sugar and caffeine will help keep your blood sugar level regulated throughout the day. Never skip breakfast – it really is the most important meal of the day!
2. Exercise regularly. I know you’ve heard this over and over but the benefits of regular exercise are undeniable. Even a few minutes of brisk walking each day is a great way to start. It gets your heart pumping and the endorphin release will make you feel great!
3. Take time for yourself each day. With so many demands for our time, the first thing usually cut from our schedule is time for us. Make it a point to schedule a few minutes each day just for yourself. Do something that relaxes you such as meditating, reading, taking a bubble bath, listening to your favorite music or enjoying nature. This may take some creative planning but the time you invest in yourself will benefit everyone.
4. Make a list of your priorities and compare it to your schedule. Very often, the things we fill our days with are not in line with the things we value or consider a priority. In our continual state of busyness, we sometimes just end up going along with the flow and not examining what is important to us. Comparing your schedule with your priorities may help you eliminate certain things that seemed like “must-do’s”.
5. Get and stay organized. If you don’t have your life organized, do it now! Getting and staying organized is one of the best ways to reduce stress in your life and to save time. Different people have different styles of organization, so find what works for you and stick with it!
6. Don’t be shy – tell others what you need. The fact is that you just can’t do everything on your own. Many times, others around us don’t see that we need help. By telling others what you need, you give them the opportunity to help you. You might be surprised at how willing others are to help! If you can afford to, hire out certain jobs like housekeeping, meal preparation, or running errands.
7. Keep a positive attitude. A positive attitude can help you face and get through many of life’s challenges. Our attitude affect the attitudes of those around us. Be the positive influence and spread your sunshine to others!
8. Learn to say “no” (and mean it)! How many times have you said “yes” to something, only to regret it later? Saying “no” takes some practice but it does get easier. If you are not interested, are too overwhelmed with other projects, or can’t give 100% commitment, tell the person you have to say “no” right now. There is no need to offer an explanation for saying “no”. Chances are that the person won’t be upset about it and will find someone else that is willing and able to help. By passing on a commitment that you didn’t want, you may have freed up your time for something that you are truly passionate about!
9. Don’t procrastinate. There is no better time than the present. Putting things off causes unneceassry anxiety in our lives. Do it now, mark it off your list, and move on!
10. Use technology to your advantage. We are in a technologically advanced age. We are almost never out of touch with each other even when we’re away from home or the office. Learn to use each of these items to your advantage. Get creative and find new ways to use technology to save you time and remember to disconnect from time to time.
YOU are your most important asset! Pick one or more of the tips above and take action on it now!
Which tip will you start with?