Have you ever heard of Phenoh 7.4 sports drink? I hadn’t either until I was offered the opportunity to try it. It’s the world’s first alkaline sports drink. I’ve got to be honest though….I’m not a huge fan of the well-known sports drinks that you’ll find on the shelves of your local grocery store. They are loaded with artificial ingredients and tons of sugar. I eat right, work out regularly and try to avoid those type of ingredients. It seems counter productive to have a great workout and then replenish it with a bottle of sugar. I know these drinks contain the electrolytes I need after a tough workout but I don’t want all the other junk so I generally avoid them.
I admittedly don’t know a lot about alkalinity or acidity in the body. I guess I kind of assumed that our bodies kind of manage the balancing process without any help from us. But after reading about the science behind Phenoh, I understand it perfectly well and it makes perfect sense that we need to replenish our bodies properly after exertion to obtain the maximum benefit of exercise.
Here’s the simple illustration that Phenoh uses to explain alkalinity in the body:
- Think of acid as heat. When we exercise, we produce heat and we also produce acid.
- When you produce heat, your body cools off by sweating – you also breathe faster which gets rid of the extra acid.
- When you become too hot, you suffer from overheating. When you become too acidic, you suffer from over-acidifying. Both are dangerous medical conditions.
- If you think of acid base balance like temperature control then drinking an acidic sports drink while you exercise is like drinking a hot beverage when you are already sweating. But – drinking an alkaline sport drink like Phenoh balances the acid created by exercise.
Makes perfect sense, right?
As an advocate of all natural ingredients, I was excited to learn that Phenoh only contains 7 ingredients and each has a specific purpose. You’ve probably heard of these ingredients but here’s what they do for your body:
- Organic aloe vera – contains essential amino acids and glycoproteins needed for rebuilding muscles during and after exercise. It also helps boost the immune system, kills viruses, and promotes healthy digestion.
- Natural mineral buffer system – neutralizes acidic metabolites that are harmful to our health and contribute to fatigue.
- Organic agave nectar – provides a low glycemic index to promote a slower and stable effect on blood sugar.
- Potassium – allows for rapid absorption and retention of fluids and maintains proper sodium/potassium balance that helps control blood pressure.
- Magnesium – allows for ideal absorption of alkalizing minerals like calcium.
- Ascorbic acid – essential antioxidant for immune support during stress and exercise.
There’s no need for preservatives, artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup or any other junk. As an added bonus, it also low in calories so it won’t sabotage your workout effort by replacing all of the calories you burned.
But I know you want to know about the really important stuff like how it tastes and how well it works. Like I said, I’m not a fan of syrupy drinks. They just don’t sit well on my stomach and sometimes make me feel nauseous. I was pleasantly surprised at how light and refreshing Phenoh is. It makes sense considering there isn’t a ton of sugar in it. But it really tastes great and feels like exactly what my body needs after a hard workout. I would definitely love to make Phenoh my regular sports drink!
What is your favorite sports drink? How do you stay hydrated when you workout? Tell us about it in the comments below!
For tips on staying hydrated, be sure to check out these 7 Tips to Staying Hydrated!