We all know the benefits of exercising regularly…..improved health, stress relief, weight loss/maintenance, and many other things. Even knowing all of this, it’s often difficult to get started. So here are a few tips to help get you going:
1. Start slowly. Often people decide to go all in on an exercise program without considering their current fitness level. It’s not realistic to go from a sedentary lifestyle to gym rat in a week or a month. Easing into a routine will help you gradually increase your duration and intensity over time and allow your body time to adapt. Start with 15 minutes and add a few more minutes each time.
2. Find a workout buddy. It’s easy to come up with some kind of excuse not to work out….not enough time, don’t feel like it, too busy, whatever. Studies have shown that having a workout buddy results in more regular workouts. Accountability is huge! So find a friend or a group to train with and stick with it!
3. Try different things. When I decided to get in shape, I started walking. After a while, I started running. Over the years, I have tried many different classes, videos, and equipment and stuck with what I enjoyed best. Although I consider myself to be primarily a runner, I enjoy weight lifting classes at the gym too. There are so many different options available now, so try everything and see what you like! The point is to get moving and keep moving!
4. Set goals for yourself and take measurements. Setting a goal with a reward at the end can be very motivating. How about a massage after 30 days of getting to the gym? Or a new workout outfit? Be sure to measure your progress as well. That can be body measurements or tracking how many times a week you exercised or how many minutes. Any measurement that is meaningful to you is perfect!
5. Set reasonable expectations for yourself. Don’t compare yourself to others you see at the gym. Just because the person on the treadmill next to you is running at 8.0 mph doesn’t mean you have to keep up. Start wherever you are right now and be the best you that you can be! You’ll be amazed at how quickly you can progress by giving your best effort each time.
I hope this tips are helpful to get you started on a regular routine. If you’d like help finding the perfect workout for you or need an accountability partner, feel free to contact me and I can help get you on the path to success!