I need to preface this post by saying that this is NOT a healthy, real food recipe. You might have guessed that from the Chocolate Lava Cake title. Yeah, I know that’s what I promote and blog about but, if you’ve read some of my other posts, you’ll know that I encourage the 80/20 rule of clean eating. That’s what’s most realistic for most people. In my own life, I try to get closer to 90/10 clean eating and allow some indulgences. This is one of those times. I wanted to make a healthier version of it but my kids weren’t having any of that so it’s not healthy in any way. Unless you look at it in a non-food way – the time spent enjoying chocolate dessert with my girls was priceless.
- 1 box Devil's Food cake mix
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Coat bottom and sides of slow cooker with coconut oil so cake does not stick.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, 1 cup of water and coconut oil. Stir to get most of the lumps out.
- Pour mixture into slow cooker.
- In the same mixing bowl, combine 1 cup HOT water, sugar and cocoa powder and make sure that sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour this mixture on top of cake mixture and cook on high for about 2 hours.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
Have you ever tried dessert in the slow cooker? What’s your favorite dessert?