I know the season of all things pumpkin has passed already, according to the calendar, at least. But if you’re like me and have an extra can or two in your pantry and notice it sitting there all by itself, pumpkin goodness might call out to you.
Since muffins are one of those foods that I really love but know they aren’t good for me, I wanted to make a healthier version. When giving favorite foods a healthy makeover, especially when said food is a baked good, it’s a little risky. I mean, part of the deliciousness of baked goods is because of the flour and sugar, right?
These muffins need no flour. They are also naturally sweetened with honey, making them even tastier. And of course, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice make everything nice! The only ingredient not all natural in these tasty morsels are the mini chocolate chips. I use Enjoy Life dairy, nut, and soy free chips, which are minimally processed and allergen-friendly so we’re still calling these muffins a healthier version.
The beautiful thing about this recipe is that you don’t have to dirty up a bunch of dishes – just a blender and muffin tin. Simply combine all the ingredients except the chocolate chips in a blender (I love my Ninja for jobs like this), blend until the batter is smooth and creamy, and stir in the chocolate chips by hand. Then pour the batter into the mini muffin tins, bake for 10-12 minutes and enjoy all the pumpkin-y chocolate-y goodness!
Couldn’t be any easier, right? Now pass me a glass of milk, please!
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 mini chocolate chips, plus a few to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- All all ingredients except chocolate chips to a blender.
- Blend until batter is smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Pour batter into lightly oiled mini muffin pan and sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until the tops are set and lightly browned.
- Allow mini muffins to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing.