This was my first attempt with a freezer meal. I’ll talk more about the entire freezer meal preparation process when I finish all the recipes but the short version is that it seemed like a lot of effort to bag up 11 meals at once over a couple of hours but I haven’t had to think about dinner at all this week. The effort was totally worth it! I just pull out a freezer bag meal the night before, put it in the refrigerator to thaw some, throw it in the crock pot, and come home to dinner. This has truly simplified the “what’s for dinner” dilemma and allowed me to easily feed my family a healthy meal even on a super busy weeknight.
The first meal was Orange Chicken. The only orange chicken I’ve ever had has been fried (which obviously is not a healthy option) . Not only is this healthier than traditional orange chicken, it’s made with only a few all-natural ingredients. I used bell peppers and carrots for my vegetables this time but you could add whatever vegetables you like. Next time I make this one, I’ll be adding a cup or two of mixed vegetables.
- 2 cups carrots (or other vegetable of choice)
- 2 cups red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- Add all ingredients (except rice) to a gallon-sized freezer bag (I would highly recommend the ones that zip closed). Freeze bag and thaw in refrigerator the night before cooking.
- Add contents of bag to crock pot (it's fine if it's still partially frozen). Cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Using a fork, cut chicken into chunks.
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Serve orange chicken over rice.
Do you ever pre-make meals and store them in the freezer for quick and easy meals? I’d love to hear about your experience with freezer cooking! I’m loving it so far!